Saint Michael and All Angels
Essex Street Mission Room, Port Elizabeth, was the forerunner of St Michael and All Angels, being blessed by Canon J Cowan in 1938. By November 1940 the Revd Harry Burvill, Incumbent of St Philips and St James wrote that the church was raising money for the erection of St Michael's. Sunday 27 July 1941 was a momentous occasion with the laying of the foundation stone by Archibald, Bishop of Grahamstown. The Revd Harry Burvill was joined in his ministry by the Revd G Walters as assistant Curate, with Sr Mabel and Miss Walker joining the ministry in 1941. On 31 January 1942 the dedication of the Church of St Michael and All Angels by the Lord Bishop of Grahamstown, took place. All were present from the Mayor, the Deputy Mayor and the whole Anglican family of Churches. In his sermon the Bishop spoke of the dedication of the great Warrior Angel"as being peculiarily suitable at this time of war, for we need to remember that the spiritual warfare between the forces of good and evil is ever going on." The church continues to serve the community of Schauderville and, over the years, many members of the parish family have found their vocation in the ordained ministry: Cyril Mueller, Theodore Thomas, Andrew Jantjies, Trevor Adams, Cliff Felix, Roland Prince and the late Witness Mpuntsha. The parish priorities for the following years are, "To do more for senior citizens; and to strengthen our youth ministry through equipping our Sunday School teachers".
Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder