Anglican Diocese of Port Elizabeth

Click to learn more about our diocesan coat of arms

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba






Parish Information

Saint Philip
Archdeaconry: The Bay
District: Port Elizabeth City
Telephone: 041-3731808

Postal Address:
PO Box 34203
Newton Park
Port Elizabeth
6055

Street Address:
46 St Philip's St
Central
Port Elizabeth 6001

(Self-supporting) Assistant Priest : Revd Lynn Venessa De Doncker
Rector: The Revd David Edwin Doveton
Self-supporting - General Licence: Revd Zandisile Templeton Jam-Jam
Deason - self-supporting: Revd Mary Margaret Rose Roskruge

Worship Style:

worship style:  Charismatic 

History:

St Philip's Mission Church began in about 1872 amongst families which had moved from the Western Cape to PE. They were Dutch speaking, and beginning in a wool store in Strand Street, and then at the Mechanic's Institute in Donkin Street, lack of space took them to St Paul's Boys' Schoolroom. They became the responsibility of the Rector of St Paul's, but the ministry prospered under a Mr PR Mollett, teacher and Catechist, (who later became St Philip's first Rector), and led to an application for land from the Municipal Council. This was granted under a special Deed of Transfer dated 1883, which vested the property in the congregation under three Trustees, one of whom was the Mayor of Port Elizabeth, for the time being, and the other two elected by the congregants. This Deed was instrumental in discouraging expropriation during the apartheid era. The foundation stone of the present church was laid in May 1883 and the church dedicated in 1884. The congregation has seen many ups and downs, losing numerous parishioners to other parishes with the Group Areas forced removal of families from Central and South End. A number, however, persisted in worshipping at St Philip's even though the Diocesan authorities expressed the view that its closing was inevitable and the last Rector appointed was in 1960. It does seem that God indeed had a purpose in forestalling the complete uprooting of this vine. It remains to be seen whether the present congregation can enter into the opportunities and fresh transforming vision the Lord has been setting before St Philip's. Many are praying that once again it will fulfil its calling to be a `missionary church'.

Back to previous page

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba

Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder